Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Beginning

For every revert into Islam there is a beginning. For me that beginning is stemmed in my background as a Christian. I grew up going to church, I grew up knowing God. As I grew I was very active in church. I was in the choir, I helped on a church planting team, I lead, ran the nursery program and even took seminary classes.

So how did that draw me to Islam? Well around the same time as 911 I began to question the religion of my childhood, began to question to many factions of Christianity and the very core beginnings of the christian world. I read many historical books. I began to doubt certain doctrines. I began to think, I began to wonder.

Then I saw how most Christians treat Muslims, and thought" hm, this is not the behavior of a real follower of Christ, is it?". I still believed in Jesus, his miracles and all that HE taught, not what others say he taught. I read and reread the New Testament many times during this time period.

Then one day on my street in Toronto, a Muslim family moved in. They had a daughter my daughter's age. The two girls played together. My daughter saw her friend wearing the hijab and asked why does she cover her head. I set out to answer my daughter's question.

I started up a friendship with this girl's mom and well my neighbor was a revert of 3 years, and had the same background I did, we talked a lot about doctrine, questions and what simply made sense.

For me what made sense was Islam. I said Lā ilaha illa al-Lāh, Muhammadun rasūlu l-Lāh “There is no god but God, Muhammad is the Messenger of God" in english late last summer just days before Ramadaam. I spoke the words of the first pillar of my new faith and with that I began my journey, my new path as a muslimah.

No comments:

Post a Comment